Yacht Club venture out on Clarks Beach

By Zoe Allan

Well, there really wasn’t much wind, or tide for that matter, when we pulled up to the Waiuku Yacht Club on Saturday morning 24 February.

Our 420 crew was rearing to go, racing the learn-to-sail kids onto the water, their boats not withstanding the competition too well. Soon enough the Optis were off on their way, heading towards the smoke stacks, whilst the big kids trained in the 420s.

By 11am we had all left the safety of Sandspit, passing through the Needles into the big, wide world. The Optis stopped for lunch at Glenbrook Beach, for the next briefing and a chance to regain their energy before reaching Clarks Beach. The 420s steamed ahead, reaching Clarks beach in time to catch the Optis before the current whisked them out to sea.

“Aim for the rocks!” was the call that greeted the Optis when they saw land, all of them so eager to get onto land that they forgot their briefing—aim for the rocks! All the boats were caught and saved from the wrath of the current, allowing us to get our campsite setup with plenty of time for games.

The boys disappeared down to the beach to terrorise the local fish, catching quite a few, but missing quite a few more. The rest of us played soccer and spotlight until bed, resting up for a long sail home the next day.

We woke to multiple boats passing by on their way out, headed over the bar for marlin, whilst we were headed the opposite way. By 10am we were on the water, our little sails headed home. The 420 team, feeling a tad mischievous, got up to their usual tricks, clambering around boats, pushing each other out and pirating each others’ boats in an attempt to cool off from the relentless sun.

The Optis trailed not too far behind the 420s, keeping them in check from afar. We sailed through the Needles into our little haven not long after midday, with everyone helping everyone else out to get the boats in and get home for some well-deserved rest.

The trip was well sailed by all, well-orchestrated by all those that organised and well attended by our juniors. A huge thank you to everyone that made the weekend possible, and a huge congratulations to all of the sailors that made it there and back!

Since you’re here… we have a small favour to ask. More and more people want the Post than ever but advertising revenues across the media are falling fast. And unlike many news organisations, we haven’t put up a paywall – we want to keep our journalism as open as we can. So you can see why we need to ask for your help. The Post’s independent, investigative journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. With investigative reporting, we often don't know at the beginning how a story will unfold and how long it might take to uncover. This can mean it is costly – particularly as we often face legal threats that attempt to stop our reporting. But we remain committed to raising important questions and exposing wrongdoing. And we do it because we believe our perspective matters – because it might well be your perspective, too. If everyone who reads our reporting, who likes it, helps to support it, our future would be much more secure. For as little as NZ$5, you can support the Post – and it only takes a minute. Thank you. Support The Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *