Sir Peter Blake Regatta 2015

Hamish, Issy, Zoe and Jack atThe Sir Peter Blake Regatta

Hamish, Issy, Zoe and Jack atThe Sir Peter Blake Regatta

Zoe Allan – Waiuku Yacht Club Junior Club Captain

The Sir Peter Blake Regatta was my first ever regatta, and what a way to start.
With over 400 boats in attendance it was very overwhelming and exiciting.
Saturday morning started off with a fairly decent breeze blowing through and plenty of nerves. By 9:00am the Waiuku crew were all ready to get out on the water and blitz everyone.
Briefing was at 10am, with inspiring words from some of the regatta’s supporters and organisers.
By mid morning, the competitors were rearing to go. Everyone was on the water by 11am, with plenty of patrol and support boats following the boats around.
The wind was a blustery westerly, doing its best to wreak havoc. There were about 120 optimists in the green fleet and only nine starlings, making starts rather difficult.
All of the boats would race up and down the line calling starboard everywhere.
Without time to spare, the starlings were off. The races all consisted of capsizes, nosedives, frustration, irritation, plenty of stacking out and much more.
Saturday’s racing finished with at least 12 capsizes but no major problems in the greenies, although in the starling open fleet, Hamish had a bit of difficulty- his tiller extension snapped in the first race, leaving him unable to finish. Sunday started off just like Saturday; however it had a bit less wind and was less stressful.
Sunday was a bit more challenging in some respects due to wind, exhaustion and broken tillers.
Jack H, Isobel H, and I all successfully completed our first races. Hamish, well he did finish I believe but his tiller snapped despite their top notch repair job-in a different place.
The second race came with some more difficulties, due to an increase in wind and fatigue. Jack and I definitely capsized plenty of times during that race, we had our heads underwater too much of the time to be able to keep tabs on Isobel.
Jack went back to shore to meet up with Hamish after the second race because he was absolutely exhausted and had given all he had while Isobel and I kept on racing. Overall the Waiuku Club was well represented, with respectable placings in all of our fleets. It was a great weekend for everyone involved and we all left with big smiles on our faces. Next year we aim to have a larger group to really represent Waiuku.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *