Netball centre fire caused by birds

Birds building nests in the roof cavity is thought to be the reason behind the fire at the Waiuku Netball Centre on Thursday 16 November 2017.
“Thank goodness we had Twilight Netball being played. I don’t think there would have been a building standing if not,” said Club President, Tracey Phillips.
A member of the public called the emergency services as soon as smoke began seeping from the roof.
“Fifteen years of birds storing straw in the roof cavity took its toll, and caused an electrical fault just above our kitchen,” said Tracey.
“Thanks to the efficiency of the Waiuku Volunteer Fire Brigade there was no extensive damage to building. We just have a massive hole in the ceiling, which will hopefully be covered by our insurance.”
“We are so lucky to have a great local brigade who got to the scene so quickly. You guys rock.”
Since you’re here… we have a small favour to ask. More and more people want the Post than ever but advertising revenues across the media are falling fast. And unlike many news organisations, we haven’t put up a paywall – we want to keep our journalism as open as we can. So you can see why we need to ask for your help. The Post’s independent, investigative journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. With investigative reporting, we often don't know at the beginning how a story will unfold and how long it might take to uncover. This can mean it is costly – particularly as we often face legal threats that attempt to stop our reporting. But we remain committed to raising important questions and exposing wrongdoing. And we do it because we believe our perspective matters – because it might well be your perspective, too. If everyone who reads our reporting, who likes it, helps to support it, our future would be much more secure. For as little as NZ$5, you can support the Post – and it only takes a minute. Thank you. Support The Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *