Approximately 150 children will remain in Port Waikato overnight due to a large slip blocking the road in and out. The children who are in Port Waikato on school camp, are safe and at no immediate risk.
The Tuakau Bridge-Port Waikato Road will remain closed due to slips until further notice and we will assess the situation tomorrow morning.
A number of other roads will remain closed tonight following severe weather causing flooding and slips around the district.
With MetService predicting more heavy rain over the next 12 hours a Welfare Centre is being set-up at Ngaruawahia High School.
The centre has been set-up for residents who may not be able to access their homes on Waingaro Road and Glen Massey, Pukemiro and Glen Afton areas that also have limited access with Rotowaro Road closed.
The following roads are currently closed due to flooding and/or slips
• Old Mountain Road, Raglan (at 6km mark)
• Waingaro Road, Ngaruawahia (currently open to one lane. Weather permitting)
• Slater Road, Huntly
• Rotowaro Road and Hangapipi Road, Huntly
• State Highway 22 north of Glen Murray (at the 21.5km mark)
• Waitetuna Valley Road, Te Uku
• Tuakau Bridge – Port Waikato Road, Te Kohanga
• Klondyke Road, Onewhero
• Allen and Eyre Road, Tuakau (one lane)
• Pheasant Close, Rotokauri (TBC)
• Ponganui Road, Onewhero (one lane)
• Pioneer Road, Pokeno
• River Road, Tuakau