Andrew Bayly, MP for Hunua has sent through the latest update regarding the weather in the are;
- Nine houses flooded in Kawakawa Bay, Ness Valley (Clevedon) and Head Road, Hunua with evacuation of four families required.
- The Kawakawa Bay kindergarten flooded and will remain closed for at least one week
- The last three permanent resident families blocked by a large slip at the end of Kawakawa Bay now have road access and are being supplied with generators.
- Roads closed this morning include Maraetai Coastal Road, North Road, parts of West Road and Tourist Road.
- Concerns about the bridge on Head Road, Hunua. I have spoken to Civil Defence and the Hunua Fire Brigade to see if they can check it.
- Caution required on all other roads.
- Power restored to all but about 20 families
- Vector waiting for roads to open around Clevedon so they can complete installing power to the end of Kawakawa Bay.
Water and Wastewater
- All dams in the Hunua Ranges are full. Please note that WaterCare does not have the ability to open these dams to release water, contrary to public myth.
- Due to heavy sedimentation Alfriston Water Treatment Plant operating at limited capacity so water restrictions (2o litres per person) have been requested by WaterCare
- Beachlands wastewater treatment station working but Kawakawa Bay treatment station not operational
- It appears that all stock loose have been retrieved by farmers
- Significant loss of silage bales that have floated down a number of rivers in Hunua and Clevedon.
- More widespread slips on farms that have ruined many fences
Clevedon Estuary/Waitemata Harbour
- Extensive forestry debris including big logs have been moved down the river in Ness Valley Clevedon. There is concern that some large logs have now floated into Clevedon Estuary. Maraetai Coastguard and Auckland Harbourmaster have been notified of this potential danger.
Given the forecast for further rain, it is essential that everyone continues to look out for their neighbours, keep safe and don’t use the roads unless necessary. Everyone is doing such a fantastic job.
He will be updating his Facebook – Andrew Bayly MP – and website –email@example.com – as further information comes to hand.