Local MP For Hunua, Andrew Bayly spent the day visiting all the affected areas in his electorate. Here is his update as of 5.30 pm, THURSDAY, 9 MARCH 2017
- No reports of any people in trouble but have visited the last three permanent resident families blocked by a large slip at the end of Kawakawa Bay.
- Four houses badly flooded in Kawakawa Bay and occupants having to move out
- Roads are largely cleared although in many places limited to one-way traffic. Last remaining road block is at the end of Kawakawa Bay and contractors ripping into it now.
- Maraetai Coast Road open but caution required
- Vector has reconnected most households – only a few isolated areas are still affected.
Water and Wastewater
- Cosey Dam full and other dams in the Hunua Ranges close to full
- Beachlands wastewater treatment station working but Kawakawa Bay treatment station not operational
- Some stock still loose in the area but farmers have done a great job looking after/retrieving their stock.
- Significant loss of silage bales – floating down the rivers
- Widespread slips on farms that have ruined many fences
Given the forecast for further rain, it is essential that everyone continues to look out for their neighbours, keep safe and don’t use the roads unless necessary. Everyone is doing such a fantastic job.
Andrew Bayly will continue to update his Facebook – Andrew Bayly MP – and website –firstname.lastname@example.org – as further information comes to hand.