Local MP for Hunua, Andrew Bayly has updated The Post regarding how the weather has affected the area:
As at 9.00pm Wednesday, 8 March 2017
- People who were holed up Orere School left for Manurewa at 6.40pm tonight
- No other reports of people in trouble
- Road between Kaiaua and Clevedon opened at 6.45pm but requires 4 wheel drive – down to one lane in many places.
- Maraetai Coast Road opened this afternoon but 4 wheel drive recommended
- Late tonight power back on in most of Kawakawa Bay but still no power in Orere
- Power on in all other locations
Water and Wastewater
- Cosey Dam full and other dams in the Hunua Ranges close to full
- Beachlands wastewater treatment station working but Kawakawa Bay treatment station not operational
- Some stock still loose in the area but farmers have done a great job looking after/retrieving their stock
- Widespread slips on farms that have ruined many fences
Given the forecast for further rain, it is essential that everyone continues to look out for their neighbours, keep safe and don’t use the roads unless necessary. Everyone is doing a great job.
He will be updating his Facebook – Andrew Bayly MP – and website –firstname.lastname@example.org – as further information comes to hand.